Monday, January 19, 2009

rhythm instruments are dangerous

This weekend marked the 23rd birthday of fellow Mizzou graduate and Korean adventurer, Jennifer Agnew. We have discovered that even though we were never friends back home in Columbia, that we are pretty good friends here in Seoul. She lives in a smaller part of town, Guui, and I'm jealous if not only for the higher volume of SKY. I'm in a very big, tall, busy part of town, and skyscrapers cover up most of the horizon. Mountains show a conservative backdrop between towers, but catching an eyeful of sky when I was in Guui felt good.

Friday marked the beginning of the festivities for her birthday, with a round of charades after the all-you-can-eat-all-you-can-drink buffet. Our group (which dwindled from about 25 to about 14) headed to a bar called Beatles. They played vinyl and took NONE of our requests. After that we went to the karaoke room nearby, called Norebon (singing room). I have a bruise on my hand from smacking the tambourine all night.

The next day ended with me being so hungover, I could not surface from under my pillow until 6-7pm. The Soju here is absolutely evil. You don't realize how drunk you're getting, and then you're just hungover beyond reason. There is cheap beer everywhere, so from this point onward, I am swearing off the nasty rice-wine. It's never treated me well, and I am not ok with an abusive relationship. Especially since i'm leaving in ...countdown... 11 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment