Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Evan Teacher, aka - Watters Teacher

"Call me either 'Mr. Watters' or 'Evan.'"

"Okay Evan Teacher Watters."


I'm beginning to realize how terrible the idea of teaching is. The kids have no respect for you and you are constantly criticized by the administrators and parents.

This week my partner teacher, Lindsey, told me that one of my students was pulled from school because of the low grade I gave him on his speaking test. I know this is a private school, and the parents are really kind of paying through the nose in order to have their kids taught English. They are considering this as their child's extra curricular activity instead of sports or other character-building activities. So their progress must be assured, therefore, this school is run like a business instead of a school. The customer (parents) are always right, and we have to meet their requirements for what is acceptable.

Also, my kids are brats and curse at me in Korean.

This post took 3 days to write i've been so busy.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch, but I know what you mean about having someone watching your job performance like a hawk with ridiculous expectations.

    On the upside, you're almost two months down out of 12 over there. Good luck, Evan.

    ReplyDelete