Monday, May 11, 2009

Korean culture

We were told today at work that it was not ok for any of the male foreign teachers to hang out with any of the female Korean teachers at our school. It "would not look ok", whatever that means. I couldn't help myself and asked if it would be ok for a male Korean teacher to hang out with a female foreign teacher. "Yeah, of course."

Double standard slam dunk.

Us guy foreign teachers were also told it doesn't look good when any of us bring a girl back to our room at night. I fail to see how this is unacceptable when we are A.) consenting adults, and B.) NOT CHILDREN.

I'm ready to leave Korea at least for a little bit.

4 comments:

  1. Crystal told you guys this?! Maybe she is jealous, haha! Guess they have cameras on you guys at all time huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's entirely unreasonable!
    Jeff told us in a meeting (he's been stressed out over tons of stuff like this for a while now :/ )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blame... [wheel of immorality, turn turn turn, tell us the lesson that we should learn,]
    ... THE JEWS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan this sounds so much like my experience when I was working in Beijing

    ReplyDelete